For parents, teachers and principals who are interested in having Dusty Davis bring the Driven to Read program to their school, this is “How It Works”:
1. If scheduling permits, Dusty Davis will come to the elementary school and kick off the program—as the program grows, other racers will visit various markets.
2. Dusty will introduce himself and tell the children about his background. He will also introduce the program and let the kids know how reading is used in racing, while also displaying how reading is a fun way to learn.
3. Teachers will send home the parent letter introducing the program and reading logs for students and parents to complete at home. As they finish the logs, the students will return them to school and start a new log.
4. Teachers keep track of the total miles read on a small class chart, and award prizes as the miles are earned.
5. Prizes awarded at preset intervals.
6. All students reaching 300 miles will be entered into an overall winners drawing for a VIP race package, which includes a pit tour and four tickets to the next Camping World Series Truck Race in your area.
7. The overall winner will be selected at the end of the school year or when Dusty returns to that market.
At preset intervals young readers earn prizes in recognition of their accomplishments. The greater the mileage, the greater the reward. Students can earn awards for 25 miles (Driven to Read sticker or bookmark), 50 miles (Driven to Read pencil), 100 miles (Driven to Read bumper sticker), 150 miles (Driven to Read silicone bracelet), 200 miles (Driven to Read medal), 250 (Driven to Read trophy), and 300 miles (Driven to Read t-shirt and checkered flag).